An Apple A Day
Does an apple a day really keep the doctor away?
Although you may have heard this many times, it is not likely eating an apple every day will actually result in less doctor’s visits. So where did this saying come from? This saying originated in Wales in 1866 and is a key factor in why apples are often used to represent healthy habits today.
Even though apples will not cancel your upcoming checkup, they are still a nutritious food choice! Apples contain many key nutrients that, when combined with a well-balanced diet, can help keep your body functioning properly. Some of these nutrients include…
- Fiber – Fiber is a type of complex carbohydrate that digests slowly. This helps us to feel full longer so we can make it to our next meal!
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C helps to keep us healthy by boosting our immune system and it helps our cuts and scrapes to heal quicker!
- Antioxidants – Antioxidants are like little soldiers inside us helping our bodies to fight off sickness and disease! You can find antioxidants in fruits and vegetables with deep colors – like purple, red, and green!
Start your challenge today with an apple a day! Check out some of our favorite KidsFit apple recipes.
- Zucchini Apple Muffin- Make this ahead for an apple breakfast on the go.
- Apple, Cheese & Turkey Roll-Ups- These roll-ups are great for a quick and complete snack.
- Apple, Ham & Whole Grain Bread- Looking for a simple and filling lunch? Look no further!
- Healthier Apple Crisp- This recipe puts a healthy twist on a classic fall favorite.
- Spider Apples- Get spooky with this Halloween favorite!