Food Label Facts
Food labels help consumers, like you, make health minded decisions when it comes to choosing, buying, or eating food. In fact, they are so important that the Food and Drug Administration has made them required by law! Check out the key parts of a food label and how they each support your health below.
- Serving Size: Check here first! It's important to know how big a serving is, so we know how much to eat to get the proper nutrients.
- Calories: These give our body the energy it needs to move. The more you move the more calories your body needs.
- Less of These: These impact your heart health. Too many of these can lead to heart issues and other chronic diseases.
- More of These: Find carbohydrates full of dietary fibers. These will give your muscles energy to move. While protein helps build stronger muscles.
- Vitamins & Minerals: Check here for important nutrients. Our body needs vitamins and minerals to be strong and healthy. Find foods that are dense in vitamins and minerals.
- Percent of Daily Value: Check this column to learn how a food helps you reach your daily nutrient goals.