Price is Right
Understanding financial wellness when we are young helps us make smart decisions with our money when we are older. We can practice our financial skills when buying groceries to get the most out of our money. Follow along with our rookie, pro, and all-star levels to complete the Price is Right challenge! Here’s how you do it, follow along with the beginning steps to select your grocery items and then choose the challenge that fits your age or math level!
- Print Hy-Vee KidsFit Price Is Right food cards. No printer no problem, have your kids draw pictures or write the food items on a piece of paper
- Cut the Price is Right food cards and sort into food groups found on MyPlate.
- Pick 2 foods you want to buy from each of the five food group.
Rookie- Ages 6 and under:
- Make your own cash register to scan your items!
- If you have similar items at home that you picked out, grab and scan to check out your items!
- Use the food items you picked out to make different family meals.
Pro-7 and up:
- Guess how much each food item costs
- Arrange the food items from lowest amount of money to highest amount
- Use the aisles online app to check the price of each item
- Round up each dollar amount per item that you chose. If the price is 50 cents or over round up, if price is lower than 50 cents round down (ex: Hy-Vee brand orange juice $2.79, this rounds up to $3.00)
All Star- Kids advanced in math
- Guess the price of each item.
- Arrange the food items from lowest amount of money to highest amount.
- Next look at the aisles online app and look up the exact price of each item.
- Add up the total cost of your groceries.
The Extra Bang for Your Buck Challenge!
- Next look at the 3 items that offer a regular size and a value size option- Peanut Butter, Gum, and Cereal.
- Write down both prices next to each option.
- Give prices for each option.
- Next look at the amount of servings or ounces each option has.
- Figure out what the cost per ounce or serving is- this is called the unit price.
Compare regular size products unit price to a value unit price, what’s the better deal?
Circle the product that has the most bang for your buck!