Sharing Family Stories of Your Name
November is National Family Stories Month, and what better way to learn about where you come from than to share the story of how you were named. Learning the origin of your first name helps you create an identity and discover more about yourself. Your last name can tell you where your ancestors are from and gives you an idea of your family’s history. Here are a few questions you can ask your family to learn more about yourself:
- Where did my first name come from?
- Where does our last name originate?
- Is there anyone in our family that shares my name (e.g., John Sr., John III, etc.)?
- What do you like about your name?
- What does your name say about you?
Check out the book Chrysanthemum to learn why everyone’s name is important. Ask away, and let the story telling begin!