SAVING WITH YOUR OWN DIY PIGGY BANK
Money is at the center of most decisions and plays an important role in our lives. We use money to determine where we live, what we eat, what we wear, and so much more! Understanding the importance of money and how it influences our lives is an essential skill to have. Not only is understanding the bases of money important, but also how and when to spend our money.
One way to make smart decisions with our money is to establish a way of saving it. Saving our money allows us to plan for what we want to spend it on and can allow us to make bigger purchases. To easily create the habit of saving, try using a Piggy Bank. A piggy bank is a container that you can put your money in to save before spending it.
No piggy bank? No problem. You can use old containers to create your very own. Here are a few ideas:
- Pickle Jar
- Cottage cheese container
- Coffee container
- Deli meat container
- Cleaning wipe container (Clorox, baby wipes, etc.)
- Think of your own, get creative!!
The best part – reusing an old container is great for the environment! Check out our Recycle & Recharge and Environmental Wellness blogs to learn more!
Here’s How You Do It!
- Remove any labels from your container.
- Wash out your container, making sure it is completely empty and clean.
- Let your container sit for 15-20 mins or use a towel/cloth to dry it.
- Ask an adult to help you cut out a slot big enough to fit your money in on the lid of the container.
- Print and cut out your piggy bank decals.
- Tape or glue the cut outs on your piggy bank
- Get creative! Use crayons, markers, stickers, etc., to personalize your piggy bank.
Now that you’re a savvy saver, check out our Spend, Save, & Donate Challenge to get financially fit.