Running is an important part of any race, but it can be very difficult too. The running portion can be lengthy and will test your cardiovascular and muscular endurance.
Here’s 3 tips to help you succeed at running during a race:
- Safety First
- Find somewhere safe to train.
- Train with a friend. This will keep you motivated and hold you accountable.
- Start small and work big. Run smaller distances or combine running with walking at the beginning, then work your way up towards race day.
- Practice Good Mechanics
- Keep your head up, and always look out in front of you.
- Have good posture. Stand up right, no hunched shoulders, and keep your core engaged.
- Use your feet to push the ground away, don’t just lift them up and down.
- Running Hills
- Up-hill running - Lift knees higher, run on your toes, and keep arms pumping.
- Down-hill - Let gravity take you, lean into the downhill with your hip.
Remember these tips when you train for your race and you will be a much more successful runner!